Xaverian's Student Newspaper

The X-Press

2016 Kairos Retreat

Nicholas Loud, Staff Writer

By Nicholas Loud ‘17

If you’ve ever attended a Xaverian function, you are likely familiar with Deacon McCormack bellowing about how Xaverian is a “brotherhood.” While Deacon’s dramatic presence and speech is the most probable reason everybody remembers the concept, it is essential that we, as members of the Xaverian community, try to understand what “brotherhood” truly means.

Taken at face value, of course Xaverian is s brotherhood; we are an all boys school (well, for now at least). Yet as any sibling knows, it is not blood connections that hold a family together, but rather, an emotional bond and mutual affection. So what does this mean for our “Xaverian Family?”

Enter Kairos.

If you are affiliated with Xaverian in any manner (student, teacher, parent, etc.), you have probably heard the term “kairos” before, yet your understanding is undoubtedly limited. You might know it as “that weekend when a bunch of guys go and cry on each other’s shoulders” or “that retreat that can get me out of my Spanish test on Friday”, but Kairos’ low profile shouldn’t fool you. In fact, it is one of the most crucial events on the Xaverian calendar.

Having gone on the retreat this April (KV forever!), I am technically sworn to secrecy about a majority of the retreat, but since I like to consider myself a writer, I’ll let you in on as much as I can.

Kairos is a four day retreat (Thursday through Sunday) that is conducted by campus ministry every December and April, and is open to all juniors and seniors. You might be wondering wether it’s a spiritual retreat, a leadership retreat, or a personal retreat, yet I’m wary to define Kairos as any of these, simply because it’s all of them combined and more. Kairos is a weekend where, with the help of your friends (both students and faculty), you are able to bridge the gaps between your spiritual and personal life in order to come to a better, communal understanding of who you are.

I know that description sounds rather heavy, but it’s the truth (don’t worry though – you can always play basketball or football to ease up during the weekend). The more and more I write about Kairos though, the more I realize that it truly is an indescribable experience, so I’ll stop trying.

Go out, grab your friends, and sign up to go on the next Kairos retreat you can possibly attend. From one brother to another (me to you), you won’t regret it.

LIVE THE FOURTH.