Xaverian's Student Newspaper

The X-Press

The Month of Poetry

Barron Wei, Staff Writer

By Barron Wei ‘18

National Poetry Month is a celebration of poetry introduced in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets. It occurs every April, and its purpose was and continues to be to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States. Although poetry can often seem mundane and dull, it can also be sublime when it is written eloquently. To celebrate National Poetry Month, students at Xaverian completed various activities regarding poetry!

In Xaverian, students were encouraged to find interest within the art form during the month of April. To initiate the conversation, students defined the type of literature as often intricate and complex. Continuing the commemoration of poetry, students began analyzing a renowned poem by William Carlos Williams, “This Is Just To Say.” At first, we found the poem to be odd and lackluster. However, when teachers revealed its phenomenal characteristics of illustrating beauty of average objects through simplicity, students acknowledged the perfection portrayed by the poem.

After discussing the poem by Williams, students shared their favorite poems with others through Twitter. Through short tweets, they were able to portray not only their own tastes in literatures, but also their own characteristics. In the same fashion, Roy Isber ‘18 questions the poet’s motives as he shares his favorite line: “‘Detach, detach, look away from the sun / Let your petals fall aimlessly.’” On the Twitter platform, we discussed the shared poems and offered each other profound insight that was previously hidden to each individual.

To complete the community’s celebration of National Poetry Month, students participated in the event, Where the Sidewalk Ends, based on Shel Silverstein’s poem that is titled in the same fashion. Teachers brought their students outside to convey eloquent messages of poetry by writing the profound lines on the sidewalk. Not only did the students participate, but the teachers also participated. Senior Patrick Cognato ‘16 offers everyone his favorite line of poetry that inspires him: “‘I swear it will get easier / Remember that with every piece of you.’” Matthew Perez ‘17 eloquently elaborated that “poetry is one of those things that create and bind humanity together, forming an everlasting relationship between people.” This year’s celebration was an exemplar of the beauty of poetry.