Xaverian's Student Newspaper

The X-Press

Basketball at “The X” – The Path to Glory

Jonathan Almedina, Staff Writer

By Jonathan Almedina ‘16

A new season rose upon the basketball scene in Xaverian High School. After losing in the 2015 CHSAA “AA” Championships to powerhouse Christ The King, Xaverian returns five players from last year’s squad. The team looks to have another successful season under head coach Jack Alesi who is entering his twenty-first season.

Nyonty Wisseh ’16, the lone returning starter who averaged 10.5 points last season looks to lead his Clippers to the promised land, with the help of sharpshooter Zack Bruno ‘17, Khalil Rhodes ‘17, and co-captains Jordan Gunzman ‘16 and Brandon Leftwich ‘16. Wisseh’s third year of Varsity, he looks to bring a lot of leadership to the team.

Varsity would start their season in a home game against Transit Tech in early December, who came into the game with an undefeated record of 3-0. This game would prove to be important for the Clippers because they would set out to continue their success from last years team who made the city championship. Also the game would be the first test in the Clippers’ road to the championship. All five starters came to play for the Clippers as they won the game by a large margin. Wisseh played well offensively for Xaverian as he scored 19 points on seven of nine shooting from the field. Zack Bruno, and Jordan Guzman also shot the ball well as both players scored in double digits, Bruno finished with 13, and Guzman finished with 10. The Clippers ended up winning 66-48 handing Transit Tech its first lost of the season.

The team’s second team would be against Thurgood Marshall Academy, who the Clippers faced last year in a well-fought game. It seemed like the Clippers had not come out with the same intensity as they did last game, but that all changed in the fourth quarter. Xaverian came up with key steals, and forced T.M.A to turn the ball over as the team picked up their defense in the fourth. Zack Bruno continued with his hot hand and added 22 points for the Clippers with 2 three pointers. The Clippers sealed the deal with a final score of 43 to 59. A 2-0 start to the season gave the clippers confidence, and put them in a good place before they began their league play with a big game against Archbishop Stepinac. Xaverian hopped the passing path, got out on the move, and constrained turnovers to put the amusement away in the final quarter. The Clippers held the Crusaders scoreless for the last 6:12 of the amusement and shut the challenge on a 19–0 run. It was an amazing presentation in its first alliance session of the year. It took a large portion of the diversion for Xaverian to hone its execution on both closures of the court. Xaverian has been attempting from the beginning to execute as it did after the break. Wisseh, the solitary returning starter forced himself on the challenge. Both he and Bruno drove a 9–0 keep running in the third that gave Xaverian its first lead. Wisseh scored 15 of his 17 points in the second half and changed over a gauge layup to put his club up 37–21 with 50 seconds to play in the third. Senior gatekeeper Brandon Leftwich (12 focuses) earned simply focuses on the move. Point watch Khalil Rhodes and Jordan Guzman (eight focuses) were magnificent on end.

In a blend of a consecutive, Xaverian would wind up playing 3-Time city champions Christ The King in under 15 hours. After 1, Xaverian was down 26-10. Xaverian battled back, wanting to profit by its home court advantage. Wisseh controlled the Brooklyn group in the first half with 12 focuses, yet it would not be sufficient as Tyrone Cohen, Jared Rivers and Alvarado triple teamed the Clippers unpleasantly. Alvarado, who’s been managing an annoying leg harm, turned out gimpy, with his calf wrapped in the second from last quarter and the Royals machine quickly slowed down. Xaverian made a keep running as 6’3″ Zack Bruno and 5’9″ Khalil Rhodes made advances into Christ The King’s safeguard. A three-ball by Rhodes with 1:26 left in the second from last quarter topped off a 16-7 Xaverian run and abruptly Coach Alesi’s group was inside of 6 purposes of the lead and in the chase. Alvarado would suck-it-up and lead a Royal’s energy surge. A Cohen set back at the signal would soon twofold the Royals lead, returning them up by twofold digits to begin the last quarter. Xaverian would get no closer than nine focuses before Christ the King piggy backed on its effectively developing energy, increased its lead and shut the appear.